Eller College of Management BA Economics requires Advanced Standing to the upper-division curriculum.
This selective process is separate from the admission application to the University of Arizona. The web-application will open on Monday, September 24th at 4:00 pm.
Follow a link below or scroll down to view details on Eller College Advanced Standing to BA Economics:
- Eligibility Requirements
- Application Process
- Criteria Considered
- Differential Tuition Surcharge
- Application Fee
Dates and times are subject to change; please check back again at the beginning of the Fall 2018 semester to confirm dates.
|Fall 2018 Date & Time||Advanced Standing Activity|
|September 24, 4:00 pm
September 25, 5:00 pm
Advanced Standing Orientation
|September 24, 4:00 pm||
Advanced Standing Application Opens in eSMS
|September 25-October 19||
Mandatory Academic Advising Appointments
|October 17, 5:00||
Online Advanced Standing Application Closes
|October 19, 12:00 pm||Advanced Standing Application Submission Deadline
McClelland Hall Room 201
Students must submit hard-copies to the Front Desk and upload materials online through eSMS
|October 22, by 5:00 pm||Admission Confirmation Notifications Sent by Email
Applicants should watch for an email to their University of Arizona CatMail account
In order to be eligible to apply for Advance Standing for Economics to the Eller College of Management, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- GPA Requirement: Have a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.50 on 12 or more completed graded UA units. If fewer than 12 UA units have been completed, a Transfer GPA will be calculated using coursework from all transfer institutions attended. Any student who does not pass ECON 200 after the second attempt will no longer be eligible to apply for Advance Standing.
- Unit Requirement: Have completed a minimum of 42 units of work acceptable to The University of Arizona, and be on track to complete 54 credits by the end of the semester in which applying.
- Foundation Coursework Requirement: All applicants must be complete or in progress with the necessary Pre-Economic Foundation Coursework. All Foundation Courses must be successfully completed by the end of the regular semester in which a student applies. Students who do not pass any foundation courses which are in progress during the semester in which they apply will have their Advance Standing revoked. The following required courses must be complete or may be in progress as noted below:
- Math Sequence:
At least one complete and the other can be in progress. Acceptable courses include:
MATH 116 and BNAD 276
Note: MATH 116 can be replaced with an approved Calculus course (such as MATH 113, 122B, or 125)
Note: Calculus MUST be completed with a grade of a “C” or higher
Note: BNAD 276 can be replaced with AREC 339
- English Composition Sequence:
All courses in this sequence must be completed in order to be eligible to apply. Acceptable course sequences include:
ENGL 101 and ENGL 102 OR
ENGL 101A and ENGL 102 OR
ENGL 107 and ENGL 108 OR
ENGL 106, ENGL 107 and ENGL 108 OR
- Economics Sequence:
Course(s) can be complete or in progress. Acceptable course(s) include:
ECON 200 OR
ECON 201A and ECON 201B (transfer credit)
- Management Information Systems Course(s):
Courses can be complete or in progress. Acceptable courses include:
MIS 111 with MIS 111L OR
MIS 111 with MIS 112 (if completing Fall 2018 or later)
- MIS 111L is required for students who entered the UA in Fall 2012 or later (MIS 112 for students who enter the UA Fall 2018 or later).
- Arizona transfer students, please speak with an advisor for more information.
- Business Communication Course:
Course is typically in progress the semester in which applying for Advanced Standing (Fall 2018 applicants will complete course during Spring 2019). Acceptable course(s) include:
BCOM 212 OR
BCOM 214 (if already completed as a Pre-Business major)
Note: English Composition Sequence must be completed before taking a Business Communication Course
Arizona transfer students, please speak with an advisor for more information.
- Good Academic Standing: Students must be in good academic standing (UA GPA of 2.0 or higher) at the UA in order to be eligible to start the Advance Standing courses. Students may not start the upper-division cources on Academic Probation (UA GPA below 2.0).
The Advanced Standing process for entry into the BA Economics Major within the Eller College of Management requires the following steps:
- Meet all eligibility requirements.
- Attend the Advanced Standing Orientation.
- Submit the online application through eSMS.
- You must first submit the online application in order to schedule your advising appointment
- Completed application includes:
- Application Summary Page: can be printed through eSMS after submitting the online application.
- Cover Letter: explains reason for pursuing chosen major, as well as personal accomplishments and career goals.
- Resume: highlights your experiences and accomplishments
Eller College Advanced Standing Orientation is mandatory for all Eller College students applying for Advanced Standing.
Students are expected to be in attendance at one of the orientation sessions listed below. Please RSVP through eSMS. Casual Attire is appropriate for all Advanced Standing Orientation sessions. Please bring a laptop or mobile device to the Orientation session so that you can submit your online application.
Fall 2018 Advanced Standing Orientation Dates
- Monday, September 24th
4:00 - 5:30 p.m.
Location: McClelland Hall Room 340E (Underwood Conference Room)
- Tuesday, September 25th
5:00 - 6:30 p.m.
Location: McClelland Hall Room 208A
The Eller College Professional Program seeks students with intellectual and interpersonal abilities that will contribute to the Eller College's academic and co-curricular programs, as well as those students who demonstrate strong leadership potential and have a high potential for success in the professional management field. The admission process is selective. Candidates are evaluated in the following areas:
- Cumulative UA GPA
- Applicants must have a minimum 2.5 GPA in order to be eligible to apply. A Transfer GPA will be calculated for all transfer students who have earned less than 12 credits at UA.
- Pre-Economics Foundation Courses
- Students must complete required Pre-Economics Foundation courses, or be in the process of completing courses during the semester in which they apply.
- Cover Letter and Resume
- Candidates are encouraged to demonstrate leadership, work experience, community service, and involvement in co-curricular activities
- Students are encouraged to utilize resources and Career Coaching offered through the Eller Professional Development Center.
One of our goals is a diverse student body. Among equally qualified applicants, preference will be given to U.S. citizens and others who are otherwise qualified to hold permanent employment in the U.S.
A professional program fee is assessed every semester to students in Eller's undergraduate professional program. Fees are subject to annual review and may change. During summer and winter sessions, students will incur an additional $20 per unit fee for all courses offered by Eller departments (both lower-division and upper-division). See Differential Tuition Surcharge for more information.
A $55 fee will be applied to all eligible students submitting an Advanced Standing application. The fee will be charged to the Bursar Account of all UA students. Transfer students who do not have a UA Bursar Account must pay the fee with a check or money order when they submit their application.
For additional information, contact us.