Frequently Asked Questions

The following frequently asked questions cover a broad spectrum of Undergraduate Programs information.

Follow the links below to read our FAQs. If you cannot find the answer to your question please contact an advisor.

UA Admissions

How do students apply to the University of Arizona?
Please visit the University of Arizona Future Students website:

On the Admission letter it states admission to the Eller College. Why do students have to apply again?
A student is admitted to the University of Arizona as a Pre-Business student, not into a specific major. Students must apply through the Professional Admission process to get into upper division courses and their major. 

Is orientation required?
Every new student must attend an orientation. 

When do students attend orientation?
Students attend an orientation the semester before entering the University of Arizona. To see a schedule of orientations, please visit the UA Future Students website:

What are my online resources?
The internet is a major medium of information at the University of Arizona and the Eller College of Management.

How long is it going to take to complete a major?
Upon receiving professional admission to Eller, most majors take four semesters to complete due to the course sequencing. 

When do students declare a major?
Students request their choice of major during the professional admission process

If a student is undecided about a major in the Eller College, where can more information be found?
General major information may be found on the Undergraduate Programs website. Major career briefs may be found on the Professional Development Center website.

What about parking at UA?
Please visit the Parking and Transportation Services website.

Eller College Professional Admission

What is professional admission?
Students must go through a competitive and selective process to gain admission to the upper division courses and a specific major. For more information, please visit Eller Professional Admission.

What GPA is required for professional admission?
The minimum GPA required to be eligible to apply for professional admission is 2.75, but this GPA does not guarantee admission. The average cumulative GPA of students accepted through professional admission ranges between a 3.2 and 3.4 in recent semesters.

What requirements must be complete to be eligible to apply for professional admission?
Please visit Eller Professional Admission.

So if I'm a UA student, I can't transfer into the Eller College until I meet the requirements?
If you have the minimum GPA of 2.75 you can transfer into the College by attending a Change of College Workshop; however, you would enter as a pre-business student. You must go through the professional admission application process in order to be accepted officially to a business major.

How important is math?
Math is an essential component of the Eller College curriculum, which takes a quantitative and analytical approach to management. In Spring 2012, the Eller College of Management began transitioning to a math sequence, and currently offers the following options:

For students who entered the UA in Spring 2012 or earlier:

Option A: 
Course #1 - MATH 115A Business Math I 
Course #2 - MATH 115B Business Math II 
Course #3 - MGMT 276 Statistical Inference in Management 
*This sequence will be phased out over the next year.  If you are in Business Math I this semester, you can complete this sequence.  If you have not yet taken Business Math I, you will want to choose Option B. 

Option B: 
Course #1 - MATH 116 Calculus Concepts for Business Majors (previously MATH 113)
Course #2 - MGMT 276 Statistical Inference in Management 
Course #3 - BNAD 277 Analytical Methods for Business (offered in Fall 2012) 
*MATH 124 or 125 can replace MATH 113 in this sequence.

Option C: 
Course #1 - MATH 124 or 125 Calculus I 
Course #2 - MATH 129 Calculus II 
Course #3 - MGMT 276 Statistical Inference in Management 
*If enrolled in MATH 124 or 125, you can also consider Option B. 

For students who entered the UA in Fall 2012 or later:

Course #1 - MATH 116 Calculus Concepts for Business Majors (previously MATH 113)
Course #2 - MGMT 276 Statistical Inference in Management 
Course #3 - BNAD 277 Analytical Methods for Business 
*MATH 124 or 125 can replace MATH 116 in this sequence.

This sequence is the determinant, along with ACCT 200 and ACCT 210, of when a student is eligible to apply for professional admission. Students must meet the prerequisite courses in order to enroll in these math courses. Depending on a student's math placement, it may be necessary to take summer math courses. Students are discouraged from taking a semester off from math.

What is the Skills Assessment Exam?
The Skills Assessment Exam is administered during the professional admission application process. Students will be tested on their knowledge of financial accounting principles, probability, and mathematical principles covered in business math and accounting courses.

What is the cohort?
The cohort is a course scheduling system that students follow once they have been admitted to the College professional program. When applying for professional admission, a student chooses either the A or B cohort. The A cohort courses will generally consist of morning courses with a few afternoon courses; and the B cohort courses will generally consist of afternoon courses with a few morning courses. If a student follows the outlined four-semester sequence of courses, then required courses will be guaranteed and we will register you for all but your major electives in a pre-determined sequence. 

Junior standing is needed for professional admission, right?
If the Pre-Business Foundation requirements have been met and 42 units have been earned, then eligibility for submitting a professional admission application has been met, even without junior standing. 

What are the options for students denied professional admission?
Students may only apply for professional admission twice. Students who are not admitted are encouraged to look at majors outside of the Eller College that are relevant to their career choice(s). Additionally, students are encouraged to consider completing the Business Administration, Marketing, Management, or Sports Management minors. You may also be eligible for our undergraduate evening and online programs.

Does the Eller College offer any scholarships?
The College does offer scholarships to qualified juniors and seniors with professional admission. For scholarship information from the Eller College, visit Eller Scholarships. For information about UA financial aid, please visit

Special Programs: Entrepreneurship and Global Business Program

Where can I get information about the Global Business Program and Entrepreneurship Program and when do I apply? 
McGuire Entrepreneurship Program applications are available online and due in late November each year for the following academic year's program. This program is a two-semester, senior-year program beginning each fall semester. Students are typically notified in March whether they have been admitted to the major. For more information, please email or visit

Typically, Global Business Program applications are available in March and October for the next semester's program. Applications are due April 1st and November 1st, and students are notified in April and November whether they have been accepted into the program. For more information, please email Vannessa Kramer or visit Global Business Program.


How can I stay informed of important dates and programs?
If you are not already receiving emails from the Eller Pre-Business Listserv (PRBN), please email your advisor to request to be added to the listserv. It is imperative to read all emails sent on the listserv. The Eller Pre-Business Listserv relays information you are responsible for as a student. This includes professional admission updates, registration deadlines, mandatory programs, networking events, and scholarship information.

What is an Academic Advisement Report? How can I use it to plan my class schedule?
The Academic Advisement Report lists the required courses and units that you have completed or are currently enrolled in, and those that you still need to complete. It ultimately becomes your degree check. You can request your Academic Advisement Report via UAccess Student.

For information on how to read your Academic Advisement Report, see:

Print out your Academic Advisement Report and bring it with you to advising appointments or if you come to Quick Advising for advice on course scheduling.

On your Academic Advisement Report, the "Professional Admission Requirements & Foundation Courses" sections includes the Pre-Business Foundation courses which need to be taken in a strict sequence in order for you to be eligible to apply for professional admission. Be certain that these courses are accounted for and being taken in the correct sequence when scheduling classes under the two-year plan.

How do I contact an academic advisor?
There are three ways of contacting an advisor depending on the topics you would like to discuss:

  • Students wishing to discuss their academic plans and other lengthy issues should schedule a half-hour appointment by visiting, clicking on the red Get Advising button, and logging in to the Eller Student Management System. Once in eSMS, click on the "New Appointment" tab to schedule your appointment. Please note that advisors post their appointments for the upcoming week on Wednesdays.
  • Walk-in Quick Advising is held Monday through Friday (except during summer sessions) from 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays, and from 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. on Wednesdays through Fridays. Quick Advising is available in McClelland Hall, Room 204, and is on a first come, first served: basis. Students must bring their Academic Advisement Reports with them.
  • For quick questions you can email your academic advisor. You must use your UA email account for all correspondence.

When do the general education requirements need to be complete?
General education courses must be completed prior to graduation; they do not need to be completed prior to professional admission. However, students are encouraged to complete as many as possible prior to beginning their upper-division core and major courses. 

Are general education courses transferable?
Yes. Please be aware that transferred general education courses will apply first to Tier II requirements and then to Tier I. Example: One history course would apply toward the Tier II Humanities requirement. Two history courses transferred in would result in three units being applied to the Tier II Humanities and three units being applied toward the six-unit Tier I TRAD requirement. You must earn a "C" or above in the course for it to transfer to the University. Always check with an advisor before taking a class elsewhere.

How many classes can I take in the summer? 
Generally, you may take one course in Pre-Session, two courses in Summer Session I and two courses in Summer Session II. Additional courses can be added if you have a solid GPA and acquire permission from the Undergraduate Programs office.

Should I complete a minor? What should I minor in? 
You are not required to complete a minor for a business degree. However, you need a total of 60 units of non-business credit to graduate. Depending upon your foreign language proficiency, as well as your English and math placements, this could mean you need up to 15 units of non-business elective credits in addition to your required courses. Since a minor is 18-20 units, you may want to consider concentrating this coursework in an area of interest to you, so that your efforts are reflected on your record. If you choose to pursue a major, you may select any minor outside the Eller College. Options can be found at UA Minors.

How many units do I need to take to be considered a full-time student; and do I need to be considered full-time? 
According to the University of Arizona, you must be enrolled in 12 units to be considered as a full-time student. Some scholarships, financial aid, and insurance requires that you be a full-time student.

Where do I go for my non-business minor advising? 
Once you have officially added the minor, please view your Academic Advisement Report for a list of your minor requirements and to track your progress. Should you have questions about your minor after viewing your Academic Advisement Report, please contact the offering department for advising. For a list of these advising contacts, please visit

What is Blackboard and how can I get assistance using the system? 
Blackboard is our online community where pre-business and cohort instructors and students can log in to find or post messages, grades, assignments, and other pertinent information to your pre-business and cohort courses. For assistance in using Blackboard, visit and click on "help page". Your request will be answered within 48 hours.

Transferring Credits

How do I know if my AP and CLEP credits count towards requirements?
You can find information on CLEP at and by viewing the academic policies regarding these exams. The AP Exam table can be found at the following website: For more information, please bring a copy of your Academic Advisement Report to an advising appointment or Quick Advising in McClelland Hall Room 204, and the advisor can assist you with any adjustments.

I would like to take some of my requirements this summer at a school back home. How do I know which courses to take and whether they will count?
If students plan to take courses elsewhere, they should always consult with an advisor prior to taking the courses. This can be done during Quick Advising, provided that students bring a course description from the catalog of the other school. In order to receive credit for the course, a grade of "C" or better must be achieved.

How do I get transfer courses evaluated? 
For general education courses, any academic advisor in the Eller College may review the course and description and complete a Pre-Approval Transfer Credit form if necessary. Students may schedule a regular advising appointment with their academic advisor, stop in for Quick Advising, or email their academic advisor for evaluation. Students should provide the name of the school they wish to take the course at, the course title, and either a hard copy or the URL of the course description and/or syllabus.

For major courses or your professional core courses, you must submit a College petition form in the Undergraduate Programs office in McClelland Hall Room 204, with the course description and syllabus attached. These take approximately four to six weeks to be acted upon. Since these are upper division courses, they may NOT be taken at community colleges. In general, the major and professional core courses must be taken at schools accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. To find a listing of accredited education institutions, visit

Please note that the course must also be accepted by the UA Admission Office as transferable college credit, the grade earned must be C or higher to be given credit, courses taken for pass/fail are not accepted, and the course must be equivalent to two or more semester units.

Residency requirements must be followed. This means a total of 30 units must be completed at the UA, 18 of the last 30 units must be in residence at the UA, 15 units of the professional core courses must be in residence at the UA, and nine to 12 units in the major must be in residence at the UA depending upon your declared major. 

I completed the AGEC (Arizona General Education Curriculum) at an Arizona public community college. Do I still need to take other general education courses? 
If you have completed the AGEC and have had it certified by your community college, please have an official transcript sent to:

Eller Undergraduate Programs 
The University of Arizona
McClelland Hall Room 204 
P.O. Box 210108 
Tucson, AZ 85721-0108

You may also drop off an official transcript in the Undergraduate Programs office in McClelland Hall Room 204 and we will forward it to the Office of Curriculum and Registration for you.

If you have already had an official transcript after the AGEC had been certified, you may also go to the Administration Building, Room 210 and ask that the transcript be pulled and that the AGEC completion be noted on your records. Transcripts are held there for up to two years.

While the AGEC does fulfill the UA General Education courses, it not cover the following courses:

  • Second Semester Proficiency in a Second Language
  • Business Emphasis Area: Ethics
  • Business Emphasis Area: Entrepreneurship & Innovation

What can I take for my Business Emphasis (Ethics or Entrepreneurship & Innovation) requirements? Can I take these courses at Pima Community College? 
At Pima, the only Ethics class options are BUS 148, PHI 130, or HIST 274. Pima does not currently offer any courses that fulfill the Entrepreneurship & Innovation requirement. There are plenty of options to choose from for the Business Emphasis Area Ethics and Entrepreneurship & Innovation requirements at the UA. These courses can be found on a student's Academic Advisement Report.

Pre-Professional Advising 

How do I plan my class schedule?
The classes that a Pre-Business student takes are strictly sequenced. The first math course a student takes is determined by the ALEKS Math Placement test. The prerequisites for Math 115A/116 are both Math 109C/112 and MIS 111. Please refer to the sample two-year plan and Math Sequence chart below.

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration 
Sample Plan

Freshman Year
1st Semester
2nd Semester
ENGL 101* 3 ENGL 102* 3
MIS 111 & MIS 111L* 4 MATH 116* (Alternate Sequence: Math 115A) 3
MATH 109C/112 3 Tier I General Education 3
Tier I General Education 3 Tier I General Education 3
Tier I General Education 3 Tier I General Education 3
Sophomore Year
1st Semester
2nd Semester
MGMT 276 * (Alternate Sequence: MATH 115B) 3 ACCT 210* 3
ACCT 200* 3 BNAD 277 * (Alternate Sequence: MGMT 276) 4
ECON 200* 3 Tier II General Education 3
Tier I General Education 3 Tier II General Education 3
Ethics or Entrepreneurship & Innovation 3 Ethics or Entrepreneurship & Innovation 3

* Foundation courses prerequisite for Professional Admission.

Math Sequence

The ALEKS Math Placement Test determines which Math course you will take.

In Spring 2012, the Eller College of Management began transitioning to a new math sequence, which is as follows:

If you are in...
You will take this class next...
Pima MATH 092
(no UA credit)
Pima Math 122 
MATH 100 or 100B
Retake ALEKS Math Placement Test
MATH 109C or 112
MATH 116 (Previously offered as MATH 113)
MATH 116 (or MATH 113)
MGMT 276
MGMT 276
BNAD 277


For students who had already begun the previous MATH 115A/B Business Math, that sequence is as follows:

If you are in...
You will take this class next...
Pima MATH 092
(no UA credit)
Pima Math 122 
MATH 100 or 100B
Retake ALEKS Math Placement Test
MATH 109C or 112
MGMT 276

Cohort/Major Advising

What is a degree check and when should I do this? 
The degree check is a formal, final review of all the courses that you need to graduate. Ideally, this should be done before you register for your last semester of classes. Please see your major advisor to complete your degree check by scheduling a half-hour appointment.

Note: If you are completing a minor, it is helpful if you visit your minor advisor prior to your degree check to verify completion of your minor. 

How do I compute my major GPA? 
All required and elective major courses taken will count toward your major GPA. Your foundation and business professional core courses do NOT count toward the major GPA. Please see your Academic Advisement Report in UAccess Student to find a listing of all the courses that count towards your major.

To calculate your GPA:

A = 4 points 
B = 3 points 
C = 2 points 
D = 1 point 
E = 0 points

  • Multiply the course's number of units times the points for the grade you received.
  • Do this for each course that counts toward your major.
  • Add all of these products and divide by the total number of units you have taken toward your major.

Now that I have achieved admission into the professional program, do I only need to complete business courses?
It is possible that you may still need non-business courses (i.e. business emphasis - ethics, Tier I and II general education courses, second language, and free electives). Your Academic Advisement Report indicates those requirements that you still need to complete. For clarification of these requirements, please schedule an advising appointment with your major advisor

What should I take for "elective" credit? 
There is no list of recommended courses for elective credits. Electives provide you the opportunity to take courses that interest you. It is important, however, that you know if your elective credits need to be upper division or non-business credits. Please schedule an advising appointment with your major advisor to clarify. 

Can I take any of my upper division business courses at Pima Community College? 
Since all of your major and professional core courses are upper division requirements, they must be taken at the University of Arizona or another four-year school, pending approval by the Eller College. Please see instructions on petitioning a course for transfer credit.

What is the process for changing my major now that I have professional admission? 
Each semester, there is a deadline approximately one month after senior registration, in which you will need to turn in a paper application to add or change your major. You have until the start of the third semester cohort to apply for an addition or change of major.

If you are dropping your secondary major, please see your academic advisor. This can be done at any time throughout the semester. 

How do I complete a secondary major? 
We strongly advise you to complete your required and elective major courses for your secondary major in the summer or winter sessions as they are not blocked for cohort students in these sessions. It is challenging to get into these courses in the regular semesters and are not guaranteed during this time. Please check with your major advisor regarding summer availability of your secondary major requirements.

General Registration

If I stop going to a class, the instructor will drop me, right?
In most cases, wrong! Some instructors drop students for non-attendance, but more do not. You are solely responsible for your enrollment, so you need to take care of dropping any course you're not attending. (Another thing to consider is that the instructor could choose to drop you with an "E".)

What happens if I stop going to a class but don't drop it?
The instructor has no choice but to give you a failing grade of "E". The University considers you to have failed a class if you fail to drop it. Don't permanently damage your GPA and transcript by overlooking something that can easily be fixed. Check your schedule in UAccess Student before the drop deadline to make sure you didn't "forget" to drop a class, and that you are registered for the classes you are attending.

How long do I have to drop a class?
You can drop a class via UAccess Student through the fourth week of class, and it will be deleted from your record. From the end of the fourth week through the eighth week of class, you need to use a Change of Schedule (drop/add) form to drop, and obtain your instructor's signature. If you're passing you'll be given a "W;" this grade does not affect your GPA and doesn't "look bad" on your transcript, unless you repeatedly drop two or more classes after the fourth week every semester.

Note: The Eller College strictly enforces the drop deadlines. We won't "backdate" a drop form so you can have a course deleted from your record, and we won't give you the "dean's signature" to drop a class after the eighth week of class. Don't wait until the last minute to try to locate an instructor for a signature. "Trying" to drop a class is the same as failing to drop it.

What about adding a class?
Registration through UAccess Student can be used to add through the first week of class, but in general classes are "closed" at that point and you'll need to use a Change of Schedule (drop/add) form to add a class, which requires the instructor's signature; sometimes the office staff in the department can sign to let you add, as well. After the 21st day of classes (the "Census Date," when enrollment reports must be finalized) you will have to pay a $250 late penalty to add units to your schedule.

What is this "GRO" I keep hearing about?
The Grade Replacement Opportunity (GRO) policy allows you to repeat a class in which you earned a C, D, or E and have the grade in the second attempt replace the first grade in your GPA (both grades appear on your transcript.) In order to repeat a class under GRO, you must file a GRO form! In the Fall and Spring, you have through the first four weeks of class to do this. (You can't file the form until the first day of class, and you must be registered for the class at the time you submit the form.) If you forget, you will NOT be allowed to file the form late, or petition to have the GRO "retroactively" applied. Note that if you drop the course within the first four weeks after filing for GRO, you "retain" that attempt. If you drop with a "W," however, you've "used up" the attempt and can't repeat the same class under GRO again. You can repeat up to three courses under GRO, up to ten units. To GRO a Tier I course such as an INDV or TRAD, you must repeat the course with the same title, not just the same number. You don't need to repeat a course with same instructor. More information on the policy can be found at Be sure to keep your copy of the GRO form.

How do I know what the deadlines are for dropping, filing for GRO, or making other changes?
All registration deadlines can be found in the online Schedule of Classes under Dates and Deadlines:

In addition, the Eller College sends out listserv messages each semester notifying students of impending registration and payment deadlines. This is only one of the reasons why it is crucial that you read listserv messages. It is your responsibility to know these dates!

Note: You have a very brief period of time during the summer and winter sessions to add and drop classes, and file for GRO. Be sure to check deadlines in the Schedule of Classes!

It's past the last day to drop a class, but I can't finish the semester for health or personal reasons. Is there anything I can do?
Yes; you can do a complete withdrawal — drop all of your classes, going to zero units — until the last day of classes (not the last day of finals) each semester. This is done through the Dean of Students Office in Old Main. You don't need your instructors' signatures, and you don't need an "excuse" of any kind. You are initially awarded grades of "W/P" (withdrawal/pass) in all of your classes. The instructor can change this grade to a "W/F" (withdrawal/fail) on the final grade report, if you were failing when you last attended. Neither "grade" goes into your GPA, but since the "W/P" is obviously preferable it's a good idea to talk to your instructors if you do need to withdraw, as many will not give the "W/F" if they are aware of your circumstances.

I've heard that if I forget to drop a class, or just have a "bad" semester, I can do a General Petition and ask for retroactive withdrawal?
These petitions are very rarely approved. The University holds you responsible for your registration, and for being aware of drop deadlines and the withdrawal process. If you decide to remain enrolled in classes during a difficult period, you need to accept the results of that decision.

The General Petitions website provides information on situations where a petition is appropriate and the petition process:

How do I calculate my Cumulative GPA?
Please see

I'm on probation; what does that mean? And what is disqualification?
If your cumulative GPA is below 2.0, you are on academic probation. This means you are not in "good academic standing," and need to take a serious look at your situation. The Eller College reviews the grade status of its students at the end of each semester. Students whose cumulative GPA is below a 2.0, after their first semester at the University of Arizona, will automatically be transferred to the University College. This puts students in a better position in terms of examining their interests, strengths, and weaknesses, and offers an opportunity to become familiar with other UA programs in the event that the competitive Eller majors are not a good fit for them.

Since you need a minimum GPA of 2.75 to apply for professional admission in the Eller College, we expect you to raise your cumulative GPA to 2.0 during your next semester of enrollment. If you don't, you will be academically disqualified, which means you will be ineligible to attend UA unless another college agrees to accept you.

Disqualified students are not readmitted to the Eller College, and students who leave the University on probation will not be readmitted by Eller. It might be possible to switch to an Undecided major in University College, however, if you are close to a 2.0 or have done well at a community college since you were last at UA.

Can I take a class pass/fail?
Courses can be taken pass/fail only if they are being used for non-business or free elective credit. You may not take a required class pass/fail. In addition, in the Fall and Spring semesters you must be taking 12 units for grade in addition to any course being taken pass/fail. You have until the fourth week of class to change to or from pass/fail, with the instructor's approval, if the course is offered on a pass/fail basis. Details can be found at:

What does it mean to "audit" a course?
If you're auditing a course you are not receiving credit for it. It's up to the instructor whether or not to let you add a course for audit (you can't do so via UAccess Student) or change your status in a class to audit — the deadline to do so is the same as the last day to drop a class. The instructor determines your required level of participation in the class, and can drop you for non-attendance or if you fail to meet the agreed-upon level of participation. The audit grade is an "O." If you are dropped by the instructor the grade is an "XO."

What happens if I get an Incomplete in a class?
First and foremost, do not register for the class again! The Incomplete is a "continuing" grade that turns to an "E" in one year unless the course is completed, and the instructor submits a Change of Grade form awarding you a letter grade. You work with the original instructor to finish missing assignments, exams, etc. It is meant to be awarded only when a minor portion of the coursework cannot be completed due to extenuating circumstances.

What if I want to take some time off from UA?
You can take one to two semesters "off" from UA enrollment without having to apply for readmission by processing a Leave of Absence form through an advisor prior to the beginning of the first semester of absence. You need to be in good academic standing to do so. While on leave, your UA email account will be kept active, and you may register for your returning semester during your regular priority registration period. International students should contact the Office of International Student Programs and Services about this process.

If you don't process a Leave of Absence, or are gone longer than two semesters, you will need to apply for readmission to UA in order to be able to enroll again. The deadlines for students in good standing are April 1 for Summer, June 1 for Fall, and October 1 for Spring. Once you're readmitted you'll need to meet with an advisor for a "registration release."

Cohort Registration

How does cohort registration work? 
If you are on track with the sequencing provided at your major reception, we will register you for all of your Professional Core Courses and Required Primary Major Courses. You are responsible for registering for your major elective courses and ALL of your secondary major courses.

When do I register for additional courses beyond the cohort schedule? 
We will register you for your cohort courses before senior registration each semester. For any other registration, such as general education, foreign language, minor or double major courses, you will register during your assigned priority registration schedule as set by the University using UAccess Student.

How do I switch cohorts? 
Contact your major advisor to discuss this. These requests will be evaluated each semester during registration and decisions will be based upon class availability as well as the reason for the request.

Can I switch only one of my cohort class sections? 
In certain cases, a switch of only one of your cohort classes may be possible (except in the first semester of the cohort). To request a different section from the one you were originally registered for, you must use the Cohort Class Request Page that is available throughout the registration period.

Career Resource

Where is the Eller Professional Development Center (PDC)? Where is Central UA Career Services?
The Eller Professional Development Center is located in McClelland Hall Room 203 (connected to the Eller advising offices). You can find more information on what the Center offers on this website: Central UA Career Services is located in the Student Union Suite 411 (above the UA Bookstore):

Who can I talk to about internship opportunities, job searching, or career development?
You can see an Eller Career Specialist during PDC office hours. You can email to find out the office hours available during the current semester. During PDC office hours, you can learn more about how to conduct an effective job or internship search. During this time you can also ask questions pertaining to interviewing, have your resume and cover letter reviewed, and find out more about online career resources.

How can I develop a resume or cover letter?
Guidelines and sample resumes and cover letters are given on the Resume and Cover Letter page of the Professional Development Center website. There are numerous opportunities for resume review during the Resume Check Events at the beginning of each semester and during PDC office hours throughout the semester. Check the Calendar of Events on the PDC website or email for more information.

Is it possible for pre-business students to get internships? How can I find an internship?
Internships are very important experiential learning experiences which prepare you for a successful career search. There are many opportunities for students who show independent initiative to pursue internships. Many employers are interested in students who are motivated to gain experience in their area of interest. Check the Wildcat JobLink system for these opportunities. Also, every semester there are a number of Internship Orientation sessions that can help you determine what Eller sponsored resources and opportunities are available to you (look on the ESMS RSVP for upcoming event times).

How can I earn academic credit for my internship?
Students can apply for internship credit through the Structured Internship Program (SIP). SIP is an academic experience that you can pair with your internship involvement. The academic components associated with your internship will give you the opportunity to reflect on your internship and network with other student interns.

Internships must be pre-approved to be part of the SIP program. Students participating in the SIP can receive up to three units of internship credit. To apply for internship credit through the Eller Professional Development Center:

  1. Read about earning internship credit here:
  2. Submit online internship application on eSMS. First click on the "APPS” tab, then click on "INTERNSHIPS" and input all required information.
  3. Upon initial approval, you will receive the Assumption of Risk Release Form that will need to be submitted to your internship coordinator. Submit copies of the form to the Internship Coordinator at McClelland Hall room 204, or via email to, or via fax at 520-621-8559.
  4. You will receive a confirmation email from the internship coordinator regarding your status.
  5. Check your schedule to verify the correct number of units.
  6. Login to Blackboard Internship Course Page.

How can I learn what careers are open to students in the Eller College majors?
All students have a specific set of interests, goals, and values. In order to ensure that all students find satisfying career opportunities, it is critical that students have a clear and realistic sense of what they want to do within the world of work. Students should work to carefully integrate their self assessment, their field of study, and their assessment of the ideal work environment.

Learn more about what the Eller Major Programs have to offer on Major Career Briefs section of the PDC website:

How can I find on-campus student positions or internships?
Wildcat JobLink houses all open positions highlighted to Eller students. Once you log into the UA Career website at and click on Wildcat JobLink on the Quick Clicks on the left, you can look at the "Current Job Listings" search engine. You will see check boxes for on-campus work study (financial aid funded positions) and non-work study positions.


What is academic dishonesty? 
All forms of student academic dishonesty include, but are not limited to:

  • CHEATING - intentionally using or attempting to use unauthorized materials, information, or study aids.
  • FABRICATION - intentional and unauthorized falsification or invention of any information or citation.
  • FACILITATING ACADEMIC DISHONESTY - intentionally or knowingly helping or attempting to help another to violate any provision of the Code of Academic Integrity.
  • PLAGIARISM - intentionally or knowingly representing the words or ideas of another as one's own.

If I am found responsible for violating the Code of Academic Integrity, what can happen?
There are a variety of sanctions that can be imposed:

  1. Written warning
  2. Reduction in grade for work involved
  3. Disciplinary probation
  4. Loss of credit for work involved
  5. Failing grade in the course
  6. Suspension
  7. Expulsion 

If I am found responsible for violating the Code of Academic Integrity in a course, such as Math 116 (Calculus Concepts for Business), and receive a “failing grade in the course,” could this also affect me in the Eller College when I apply for professional admission?
Yes. All professional admission applicants are asked if they have ever been found responsible for violating the Code of Academic Integrity and if so to explain. If a student lies about this on the application and does not report, the student will be dropped as an applicant. If the student is forthcoming, the nature of the violation will be considered as part of the application decision. Due to varied nature of such violations, each student, past history, and violation will be considered carefully and individually. In the end, a violation of the Code of Academic Integrity could compromise an applicants admission to the college.

If I am found responsible for violating the Code of Academic Integrity in a course such as FIN 311 (Corporate Finance) and receive a “failing grade in the course,” could this also affect me in the Eller College even through I’ve already achieved professional admission?
Yes. In many respects, such a violation at the Junior or Senior levels is more severe than a violation that might occur at the Freshmen or Sophomore levels. Juniors and Seniors are more experienced with taking courses and although all students are responsible for adhering to the Code of Academic Integrity –whether they know it or not- Juniors and Seniors can not claim ignorance or inexperience. In the 2003 academic year, there were students that violated the Code of Academic Integrity that were expelled from the college.

How can I be academically honest?
By taking the following measures, students can be academically honest in their educational pursuits:

  • Take time to prepare for assignments and exams.
  • Should you experience difficulty in a class, ask your instructor for assistance early.
  • If you are uncertain about what your instructor defines as academic dishonesty, talk to them about it.
  • Use appropriate citation procedures and consult with your instructor on the “do’s and don’ts” associated with team projects.
  • Do not look at other students’ exams, prevent other students from seeing your paper during exams, and do not lend homework to others for their use.
  • Inform your instructor if you suspect that someone has copied answers from you during an exam.

For further information, view Our Standard of Ethics.

International Programs

Where can I get information about Study Abroad and recommended programs?
You may want to schedule an appointment with Vannessa Kramer, Director of International Initiatives and Academic Advisor, to discuss the many UA study abroad programs available as well as the Eller Study Abroad Program. Or view International Programs.

Leadership and Student Organizations

How do I get involved in an Eller College student organization?
It’s easy. Look through the list of Eller College student organizations, and if one interests you feel free to contact the organization's president. Some organizations have specific member requirements; the presidents will be happy to discuss this with you.

How does my student organization become recognized by the University of Arizona?
Students who are starting a new organization and/or need to be recognized by the University of Arizona need to visit the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership located in the Memorial Student Union on the 4th floor. You can view their web site at

How does my student organization become a FESO member?
Student organizations are eligible to join the Federation of Eller Student Organizations (FESO) if they are recognized by The University of Arizona’s Center for Student Involvement and Leadership and have a significant proportion of their mission dedicated to furthering the interest of students studying business and/or public administration. If this describes your student organization please contact the FESO Coordinator.

How do I reserve a room for my student organization’s meetings?
Student organizations that would like to reserve a room on campus for regularly scheduled meetings and/or special events/programs need to do so by contacting the FESO Coordinator.

How does my student organization reserve the LCD projector and/or digital camera?
Student organizations that need to reserve the LCD projector and/or digital camera are asked to do so by contacting the FESO Coordinator.

How do I reserve technology if my meeting is not in McClelland Hall?
When requesting rooms outside of McClelland Hall and technology is needed your student organization will need to contact UTC Equipment Service at 520.621.3852 or via the internet at

How does my student organization update our FESO application?
If you have had a recent change of officer and/or advisor in your student organization please update your FESO application by submitting the FESO change of officer/advisor form to the FESO coordinator. All other application updates can be submitting directly to via email.

What if my question isn’t answered in Frequently Asked Questions?
No problem. Contact

What are the benefits of joining an Eller College student organization? 
The Eller College offers many co-curricular organizations — there is something for every interest. Co-curricular involvement is vital to success in the business world. These activities demonstrate to potential employers that you enjoy working with people, are organized and committed to more than just your class work. Participation in student organizations and volunteer activities will help you develop necessary leadership and teamwork skills important in business today.


For additional information, please contact us.